About Me (Introductory Blog)

Ǥilakas’la (Hello) My name is Emily and I am K’omoks on my Mother’s side. We are part of the Kwakwaka’wakw Nation on Vancouver Island. I am also French and Ukrainian Settler on my Father’s side. I was born and raised on Secwepmec territory in Splatsin community or also known as Enderby BC. My Mother was a child in the 60’s Scoop, adopted by a Settler family so I have been disconnected from my culture and family. I have recently been in touch with some family members and have started learning my culture from them. I am so proud to be a K’omoks Woman and Student here at the University of Victoria.

I have been here at the University of Victoria for 5 years now, and currently on my 3rd year of my Bachelor of Arts in the Humanities Department. I am Majoring in Indigenous Studies and Minoring in Education. My area of study is focused on decolonization, resurgence and the improvement of our education system here in BC. I want to be part of this new idea of land-based and open learning which has been proven to be more effective not just for Indigenous students, but for everyone in our communities.

I am an artist as well. I have taught myself how to do traditional beading about a year ago. Although my people are not specifically known for their beading, I love to keep this tradition going, to keep it thriving and alive for the next generations to come. I have a small business page on Instagram and Facebook for my beading. They will be linked here on my site under my Lnk.Bio page.

I hope you enjoy my site and my blogs for my courses. Please make sure you click on the right blog for the course assigned.

Ǥilakas’la (thank you)